Sunday, July 19, 2009

Firsts

This is my first ever blog, I mean for real not for play play on yahoo personals! I set this up for school but will probably keep this up since I seem to have a lot to say and people are generally interested in what I have to say! Anyway, I guess you are supposed to say something profound or pose an interesting question, so here goes...
As I finish this Masters program and look at what it is that I want to do, I know that I want to coach. I have coached volleyball for about 10 years and played the sport even longer. I didn't play in college but I could have. I am finding it very difficult to even get a phone interview for a coaching job let alone make it past the initial HR screening. I went to a Minority Coaches' clinic where they stated that schools were looking for more minority women coaches. Well here I am!!! But nonetheless, I struggle. I know I should volunteer coach, be a GA (tried to do this but didn't want to just "get a Masters" in whatever), or accept maybe a part-time gig at a smaller school; but how am I supposed to even live and take care of myself doing these things? What job will allow you to leave work early or not show up in order to travel with a team, work summer camps, or go to practices? If someone is doing this, help me out!

Over the past two years, I've had several firsts; finishing this Masters, completing my First Level of coaching accreditation, snagging a wonderific man, and planning a major fundraising event. But someone please give me some more advice on how to snag my first collegiate coaching job!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment