Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Art-teast?

The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration. -Frida Kahlo

All I know is that I had this idea for these stools that my mother gave me in 2000 when I first went to Graduate school in South Carolina. They were very interesting bar stools; very squatty and short. I drew sketches about what I wanted to paint on them and how I was going to change them into these great stools.

I moved to Georgia and I still had the stools and the idea. What passed through my head was "hey these are bar stools, I should put bar things on them; like bottle caps and class and labels" With that an idea set in motion that just came into fruition last night!!!

It all started with some bottle cap collecting. I decided that I would save all the caps from every beer that me and people I know drank. I finally saved up enough this year (I've been saving since about 2004). I put them on the top of the stool like mosaic and filled in the spaces with broken beer bottle glass. The hard part was trying to figure out what the glass-like substance is that you see on tables at the beach where the sand & seashells are embedded. I found that and now it's on!!!

I'll post a picture tomorrow! It's awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment