Monday, November 26, 2012

OTR

OTR a.k.a Off The Record and since those sessions were really Off The Record
This blog is going to be ON THE RECORD

Every evening at the close of the day, Renata and Carolyn led us through an open session called Off The Record. I've never done this before in any job but it was a wonderful way to de-stress. Although the OTR sessions were late at night, a lot came out in these sessions that I can not and will not share in this forum but I know that each and every one of us is forever changed as a result.

But...
On The Record, I can tell you that ILI forced us to look at ourselves. It forced me to look at myself and not just my YMCA career self but myself, Khalilah Pitt; daughter, sister, girlfriend, future wife, friend, future mother.  Carolyn asked us a question one night about Diversity & Inclusion and I cringed inside. I hadn't thought about how I answered that question in the past but what I can share with you all is that I have minimized diversity and inclusion; meaning I have totally said "Diversity isn't just black/white and male/female." Thanks Carolyn for forcing me to turn the mirror back on myself.  Diversity is more than race and gender, but if there was no focus on black and female; where in the world would I be?! 

I, luckily, have never felt uncomfortable or hypersensitive about my race and gender. I always felt very comfortable in my skin in whatever environment. I never once stopped to think that this was not the norm for many people and why I should care that others don't feel this free. What is my role as a leader, now Global Leader, to influence change around this? How do I become a champion for "freedom" to be just who you are?

On The Record, I can share with you that I feel different now. I always thought I had a broad view on life; thanks parents for sending me outside of the US of A to experience other cultures and lives. So I have to say I went to Peru with a very blank slate and very little expectations outside of learn about Peru. I think Peru taught me more about myself than I thought I would learn. These Off The Record sessions forced me to ask some very tough questions of myself on which I think will shape my "self" moving forward.

On The Record, the ILI participants enriched my life! I appreciate each and every person that was there and I know that God was in charge of this trip through and through. I enjoyed all of the time that I spent with each person along the way. I am grateful beyond measure and humbled to have been a part of such a special trip with YMCA professionals who are now a part of my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment